There are so many issues that affect Maryland’s environment, including the harmful effects of climate change, the over-use of antibiotics in agriculture, and the health of our precious waterways.
Maryland has made significant progress in reducing global warming pollution. But we can do much more. We need to transform how we produce and consume energy. I will support and expand programs that promote the use of clean energy sources like wind and solar, while also supporting programs that use energy more efficiently.
The Chesapeake Bay is one of Maryland’s most precious natural resources. And it is of significant importance to District 16, as the Potomac River is a major tributary of the Bay and supplies much of our drinking water. From the protection of oyster sanctuaries to targeting harmful human-made products that pollute our waterways to ensuring that federal programs like the Clean Water Act are fully funded, I am committed to ensuring the health of our water.
As your Delegate, I will fight to make sure we protect and expand protections to the air we breathe, the water we drink, our families' health, and the places we love.
* Support Renewable Energy. Maryland should continue to move towards using a higher percentage of our energy from renewable sources, while at the same time ensuring we have the infrastructure to hold and distribute that energy.
* Reduce waste. I support bills to ban styrofoam and promote the use of reusable bags.
* Promote Environmental Justice. We must ensure that our most vulnerable communities are not being forced to bear the brunt of dirty energy and food deserts.
* Clean our water. I support regional programs that promote clean water; monitoring pesticide impacts; and guarding against over-development.
* Save our trees. The General Assembly should amend the Forest Conservation Act to stop the loss of Maryland's forest acreage.